|Tim De Zarn||…||
Ronald The Intern
Director: Drew Goddard
First off I’d like to just say, JOSS WHEDON is frggin amazing. He co-wrote the script with the director of this amazing picture, Drew Goddard & the two craft an amazing story if not a good horror story, with a twist, and A LOT of wit. If you know what “Torture Porn” is, then you can understand the frustration the two previously mentioned, share with what the horror genre has turned into these days. As I said in my Shining Review, I’m not a big fan of horror/scary movies. Not because I’m a chicken or anything, I just don’t care to watch poorly acted movies on purpose (let’s face it, no one goes to see good acting, but good human mutilation in a typical horror movie). And maybe because when I got into film school, a teacher of mine said “Horror movies can only be two things; It can be really good and execute with scaring even the most stone walled person, or it can be terribly funny from the story, or how bad it actually is.” (Think Jason Goes to Manhattan) Now lets get to this review.
“Five friends go for a break at a remote cabin in the woods, where they get more than they bargained for. Together, they must discover the truth behind the cabin in the woods.”
YES, I JUST GAVE YOU THE PLOT SUMMARY, SUE ME. I did that so that you can enjoy the twist if you watch it. If not keep on reading. I will eventually “ruin” it for you
So the movie itself blew me away. That may be in part to my rules about movies as I said in my “Chronicle” review, I don’t watch many promo’s for movies as to not ruin anything about the movie, Though, I did see one trailer for this movie, it didn’t look that good.
- If an old man warns you not to go there… make fun of him.
- If you hear a strange sound outside… have sex.
- Quaint abandoned property… sold.
- You think you know the story.
- If something is chasing you… split up.
- If a door opens at random… IT HAS to be the wind.
- Overall rating of the movie: 3.3 out of 5,
- Cinematography: 2 out of 5,
- Editing: 2.7 out of 5,
- Audio: 3 out of 5,
- Acting: 2.8 out of 5,
- CGI: 4 out of 5.
- Theatres or wait for the blu-ray? If you have a “cheap day” for the movies, then go to see it on that day, if not then if you’re an avid Horror fan, or agree with what I said, You may want to own this movie, but I can’t see too many owning this movie.
THAT’S IT! Cheers: “To Peace” and May the Force be with you!
– Xavier – @CoolyoNgeLEW